Sunday, February 19, 2012

Australian Open of Surfing @ Manly Beach Sydney



Wouldnt have missed it for the world!

The Australian Open of Surfing was 9 action packed days of surfing, beach culture, music, & art held @ Manly Beach.

I went along last Sunday the 12th Feb to watch a bit of the surfing, left home nice and sunny only to have it rained out and abandoned when I got there! The crowds swarmed Manly Wharf in an effort to get home. I grabbed an ice cream and braved the conditions for a bit taking a few photos then left. There were a few surfers in the water still.

When I heard that this weekend there would be live entertainment, AND the weatherman was predicting that it would be a glorious 27c, there was nothing stopping me [the sky did turn a bit grey, but luckily the rain held off]. It was the eve of the closing of the Open of Surfing and what a better way than going out with some of the best talents in Aussie rock biz. Stonefield, Children Collide & The Living End were playing!

It seemed like the rest of Sydney had the same thing in mind. The ferry wasnt as congested as I had thought going over, but upon arrival at Manly Beach, there were thousands packed at the beach all vying for the best spot to catch the show. We were told to make our way down the steps onto the sand and take up our places. I opted to keep walking along the promenade and try my luck closer to the action. The stage was postioned on the sand facing south, so that meant anywhere along where I was, I could prolly get to see em better. Thats if I could manage to get close enough to the wall.

Sure enough my persistance paid off. I didnt have the best view but I was closer than most on the sand were and much closer than if I had taken the stairs onto the sand. People moved on and gaps opened up. I took advantage of that & there I stood the entire time. I had a perfect spot for viewing the water, the surfers, the crowd & the stage. YAY me :)

Stonefield started around 4pm. A all girl rock band that were awesome. They must left a lasting impression on the 2 acts that followed, as well as on the crowd, as Children Collide & The Living End had mentioned how awesome they were several times. The beach was providing the best backdrop for a 'let your hair down' rocking afternoon. Parents with kids on their hips, couples, young folk, even the seasoned rocksters mingled with sun and surf for a fabulous arvo of great music.

From Melbourne, Children Collide was next and they were fabulous. First time ive heard em ever, but their sound was of good quality indie rock. Currently touring nationally to rave reviews. They made a remark of how privilaged they were playing in front of such a majestic view & it was certainly one of the best and that was coming from a Victorian lol

The highlight of the arvo was definitely The Living End. They were fired up and had the crowd going wild. I couldnt help not doing a lil headbopping myself to their music. I havent listened to them much but a few songs did stand out that I recognised. Brilliant, revved up, raw & full of energy.. senfuckingsationally great they were.

A great day out had. A mixture of surf, sun, arts, music, beach culture and what better place than at Manly Beach. The V stage finished at around 6.30pm & I hung around admiring the view for a bit before heading home, allowing the swell of the crowd to slowly disperse.

I have to say what a clean, smooth path it was to walk along at the beach. I took my wedges off & walked barefoot, ever so cautious I might have stepped on something, but I need'nt had worried. Such a pleasure.

The ice cream tasted real good too!

Below is a playlist of 3 videos.. Stonefield, Children Collide & The Living End, and a few pictures taken from where I was standing

Click here to watch a slideshow of Day 8 of the Australian Open of Surfing Channel V Stage

ENJOY!!