Monday, August 6, 2012

The Gap



Its been forever since ive been back to witness the majestic splendor of the Gap coastal walk & its beautiful panoramic scenery. I think the last time I was there was on a hot summers eve about 20 years ago in the company of a latino friend whom I had a slight crush on, and was oblivious to my surroundings.

Fast forward a couple of decades & the area looks nothing like it did at that time. Or rather, I wasnt paying much attention **blush**, but I have noticed a few changes. The most notable being several 'lifeline' booths and cameras have been installed as part of 'The Gap Masterplan' to help reduce the sombre self-harm predictaments that have made the Gap quite famous for. Detailed instructions state if you need to talk it over, help is close at hand and that your not alone. I tried to imagine such a scene & it seemed too distressing. Still, I applaud it & think its a good tool to try and discourage those who maybe contemplating the unthinkable.

Have they extended the walking area? I thought the area was much smaller. How wrong was I. The walking path extends all the way from Old South Head Rd Gap Park thru Sydney Harbour National Park to the Hornby Lighthouse. I didnt quite make it all the way there, but the breathtaking view was amazing. I stopped to take pictures at different spots, knowing any pictures I did take would be awesome.

The water was a beautiful blue and so crystal clear. No whales were sighted but I suspect on some days there might be perhaps when it warms up.

I was curious about a walking trail that led into a woody, steep descent and wondered where it might lead to. I followed it for a bit and came to the lower end of Gap Park carpark which according the the map, lead to the lighthouse from a different direction. The air smelt so fresh and clean with many species of flora, and so many noisy kookaburras!

After peeling away from the Gap, I headed on down to Camp Cove and strolled around the beach & sat by the waters edge. A semi-secluded lil beach haven, its beautiful in summer to swim at. Lady Jane is only 300 metres away along the walking track. Who doesnt have wonderful memories of that place either as a nude bather or spectator? [cheeky!] lol Last time I was there was in the 80's with my then hubs and our flatmate. I was only a teenager, but was excited and not shy I remember in sunbathing and swimming totally nude, and was amazed such a place existed. One memory distinctly stood out that day. A guy came up to me as I was lying there and knelt beside me and asked for a light. I looked up and all I could see were a pair of hairy balls swinging inches away from my face. Hubs didnt like that and told him to get lost. haha I laugh about it now looking back. Emphatically, the ball swinging I felt was a way for him to get my attention, and was very much deliberate. Pervert.

On the way home, I stopped and took more pictures along Old South Head Rd at Lighthouse Reserve, another beautiful viewing spot. The light was slightly fading and was creating the perfect ambience.

I shall definitely be exploring more of the gorgeous offerings in and around the harbour very soon.

Below is a slideshow of the pictures I took. ENJOY!