Monday, April 29, 2013

Dappled Cities



Thanks once again to my good buddies OAF for tickets to see 5 piece indie-rock band Dappled Cities celebrating the spanning of a decade of their music. Dappled Cities is one of those bands I had first heard of around the time I had returned from my extended stay in Melbourne 2 years ago, armed with new Aussie bands I had discovered, and upon hearing Answer is Zero, instantly fell in love! Checking my blip fm history, I had indeed also blipped that track to all my Aussie blip buddies on Australia Day 2011!

Fast forward 2 years, Dappled Cities were playing the OAF and I was instantly reminded how great they sound and what a great opportunity it was to get out to see em perform their music in celebratory mode. I hadnt heard much past the one song I knew, so I was quite excited at discovering just how good they were. The reviews had me convinced that they were amazing.

Skipping the support bands entirely, I had arrived to a packed Wednesday evening OAF and after grabbing a cider, slowly squeezed my way through to the front, preparing for a sweet nostalgic dip back in time, ready to rock my boots off to a kick ass setlist.

AND WOW!!! Dappled Cities were bloody great! Around 2nd song into their driving set, they had announced they were playing requests taken off their facebook page that fans had submitted. How cool! Now theres a band who knows how to rock the place and the fans went crazy!!! Barely 18 collectively when they started early 2000's, when they were known as 'Dappled Cities Fly' [Dave Rennick had asked 'who remembers when we had an extra word in our name?'] they performed a well balanced mix of their songs from all 4 albums, pausing halfway through and asking, 'who remembers our first release?' The fans, slightly hesitating, had mumbled 'Be Engine' prompting Dave to mockingly say "and you call yourselves fans" LOL followed by smiles all round.

SETLIST

Battlewon
Vision Bell
Work It Out
The Night is Young at Heart
The Price
Fire Fire Fire
Be Engine
Wooden Ships
Peach
As I Lay Dying
Holy Chord
Born at The Right Time
Run With The Wind


Answer Is Zero unfortunately wasnt played as I had hoped [no I didnt know about the facebook requests till I was at the gig] but I did enjoy Dappled Cities a great deal. Thanks to the OAF for another incredible evening! I had even seen my first crowd surfer right up close. Now I feel complete.